I can see why so many supply chain management degrees are being offered today. This is an extensive process, that seemed too overwhelming for one chapter and one discussion. In essence, supply chain management focuses on the channels and things necessary to get the product from the manufacturer to the end user. I did not realize that there were different channels for business products and consumer products, but I guess this only makes sense. Some of them are similar while others are not. It was interesting to learn about strategic channel alliances where firms will share their supply channels to further both companies’ business objectives. It was interesting to learn about the different kinds of distribution such as intensive, selective, and exclusive within the channels. The channel power and conflicts were interesting to learn about as well.
This, just like every other aspect of my marketing learning so far, seems to be an ever-evolving thing. Those who can keep up will find the most success. While I have not been shocked or surprised by anything about supply chains and channels, it is very interesting. For the most part, it all seems very logical, but it is just another thing I did not know enough about. I have often heard that if our trucking industry went on strike for one week that every store would be empty. When you dive into how these channels all work and how much distribution is taking place, why it is taking place, etc. it does not take long to figure out that the previous statement is probably true.
This is an extremely important element of marketing. After all, what good is it to develop, build, advertise, etc. if you can never deliver the product you have put all of that work into?
No comments:
Post a Comment